BLL Billund Airport – taking baggage handling into
the 21st century.
BLL Billund is a regional airport with annually approximately 2,8 million passengers, meaning that more than 50.000 operations are handled each year. BLL Billund experiences annual growth of up to 5% with a BHS baggage handling system with a limited capacity of 3,2-3,5 million passengers a year.
Billund must make a strategic decision with respect to expansion within the next years, and the current only realistic option has been to expand the baggage handling system.
This will require adding a minimum of additional 4.000 square meters to the building and investing in a new sorting system with a total investment frame of 100-150 million DKK.
However with BBHS, only a minor investment can enhance the current system with consolidation system add-on’s and bring the capacity to around 5,5-6 million passengers annually.
The following facts about BLL Billund developments can be concluded:
- Increased capacity to around 5,5 million annual passengers, will bring an annual business increase of around 160-200 million DKK.
- A reduction in the use of sorting time in the Baggage Hall at around 50-60%, can be utilized to handle the increased activity in the operation on the apron as BLL performs own handling.
- A significantly improved work environment will be achieved.
- The possibility of gaining exact knowledge of current baggage management
- The possibility of offering a better passenger service in terms of status information on your mobile devices and home tracking of baggage.
A realistic pay back time on investments in introducing the BBHS concept is less than 3 years. Compared to a expected pay back time of 8-10 years at BLL Billund in other system investments.
BLL Billund have currently introduced the complete BBHS system on Arrival, and hence achieved a world class work environment, super fast baggage delivery and not least gentle baggage handling reducing mishandled, lost and damaged baggage.
A BBHS departure consolidation add on for BLL is currently under final factory test.